Howdy Folks. I’ve got one more list I’d like to put out there for consideration. This time we’re working over my Imperial Guard. The below list is an updated variations on my 5th Edition mixed Foot/Mech lists, that I’m hopeful will be okay in 6th. I’ll be posting some comments and thoughts on the lists below.
Okay so a couple thoughts on this list.
1. My company command squad is staying as is for the most part, with the Astropath there to get the Vendettas in early (2+ on turn 2), with outflank rerolls. I don’t think the chimera will be very survivable; however, the Command Squad feels like a prime target, so I’ve given them a pill box to buy me an extra turn or so of issuing orders. I may pull the chimera & strip down the plasma guns in a later draft.
2. Rune Priest. As far as I’m concerned this guy is near mandatory if I’m running Blob Guard. He brings Psychic Defense, gives one Blob ATSKNF (allowing me to lose a commissar), and his Psychic Powers will be a major force multiplier for the Blobs. I really look forward to the day when I can get his Blob to break after the first round of combat, regroup with ATSKNF on my next turn, and then shoot the hell out of the unit I was just locked in with.
a. A fun alternate build involves swapping the Rune Priest for a Wolf Priest w/ Saga of the Hunter. Makes the blob fearless, gives them Stealth, & lets them Outflank. Obviously I’d lose the heavy weapons, and likely swap in melta or plasma for the flamers.
3. The Blobs – Parking Heavy Weapons in these guys got a lot sexier now that they only count as moving if the HWT actually moves. 40-Men means I can push up to the mid-field without touching the HWTs, and still have lots of warm bodies to pad the special models with. A turn or so of fire against vehicle targets and then they can swap to infantry targets. The flamers are there because they’re cheap, and because I find the idea of charging units taking 4d3 flamer hits on top of regular Overwatch shooting to be very fun. Power axes are just sexy once CC happens
4. Grey Hunters are mandatory. For this list I’ve kept them cheap. Likely I’ll reserve them to walk onto a back field objective.
5. Vendettas are my air element. Out flanking means I’ll be able to come in on the side as far away from my opponent as possible for maximum turns of zoom and shoot. Flamer Command Squads ride in the vendettas to parachute onto useful objectives. They’ll be quad flamering whatever they can, and then ordering themselves to ground for a 2+ cover save if possible. Anyone wanting to shift them will be eating Overwatch burning.
6. The Two Russes force my opponents to spread out, and will let me punish anyone who gets out of an exploded vehicle. The manticore will hide behind a hill if possible and splatter mobs and parking lots. If it underperforms a second demolisher will replace it.
7. My only real worries with the list are a lack of more durable scoring units (3/5 are really fragile), and the fact that I don’t have a single melta weapon. I see the latter as a potentially big problem with the list, but will have to see after playtesting. The former we’ll have to just see on.